CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Two Amazing Moms

I thought Mother’s Day would be a good opportunity to write about two amazing mothers in my life.  They are, of course, my beautiful and amazing wife, and my awesome mother.  This past year has served as a reminder to me of just how fortunate I am to have these two women in my life.  Without them I don't know how I would have survived.

My mom has repeatedly helped to boost my spirits and see the blessings in my life.  Her unfailing optimism, and thoughtful encouragement have kept me going in the right direction.  My mom is a wonderful example of how parenting extends beyond raising your kids and sending them out the door.  I think I've probably learned more from her the second 18 years than I did the first.  I guess maybe I've been a little more interested in learning and done a little less "talking back."  I think I'm starting to understand what that is.  I used to wonder what the problem was with "responding," but now I see that some times a response is not needed or desired. Thanks mom, you're the best.

You may not realize that Andrea has had to deal with a much more difficult year than I have.  While I’ve been sitting around for the last year she has been doing everything for our family, and doing all those things for me that I can no longer do for myself.  Here are a couple examples that come to mind.  For the last 400+ days Andrea has put Sophie to bed every night, sometimes more than once.  It doesn't matter if she's tired or feeling sick, she's had to pick up Sophie, gather all of the necessary items (blanket, baby, and cup), and carry her up the stairs or across the hall to bed.  This probably seems like a small thing, and for one day it is, and even could be enjoyable, depending on Sophie's mood, but she's never had a break, and has nobody to fall back on.  Another example is that for the last year Andrea has gotten up every morning at 5:45 to help me get breakfast so that I can keep on the schedule the doctors have worked out for me.  For those of you who know Andrea, you'll know that getting up that early is not something she would ever choose to do, but she hasn't even complained once.

I still remember how happy I felt when I realized that I should ask Andrea to marry me, and that I was even happier when she agreed. I didn't know what our life would bring but I knew I wanted to spend it with her.  I have been reminded on many occasions just how glad I am that she stuck with me until I realized that she was the one.  I know she doesn't like having her picture taken but I couldn't help but share a few that I've collected over the years.
Isn't she a hottie!  I don't know what the next years will bring but I'm glad I've been able to spend the last 15 with her and can't wait to spend the rest of my life with her.

I certainly am lucky to have these amazing moms in my life.  I love you both.

--Josh


5 comments:

Janis said...

I have been thinking about Andrea a lot today and all she has been doing this past year. She is so humble about it all, but she is truly amazing!! Excellent choice!! Thanks for all you wrote!!

MollyE said...

Josh, this was beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing!

Katie said...

Thanks for sharing!

This is an extra special post,

for a couple of extra special moms.

Renee said...

I think you are right Josh! And I agree with the others, what I beautiful post. I think you two are perfect for each other and strengthen one another in different ways. We are going to miss having you down the street but are so thankful that you'll still be just blocks away. :)

Dan said...

Nice tribute! I agree wholeheartedly.