CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 18, 2008

In Loving Memory








My mom died twenty years ago yesterday. I was thinking about her much of the day but didn't think about writing a post about her. I don't think I'll ever forget that day when I was in my sixth grade class and a student from the office brought a note to my teacher and as soon as he started to come towards me I knew what it was about. This was the first and only time I ever remember being taken out of class. I remember walking down the hall shaking and I think hoping it wasn't what I knew it was.

The past twenty years have seemed like so long. So much has happened, finishing school, getting married and having children. But it also seems crazy that she has been gone so long. I didn't get the chance to know her as a person. At 11 years old, she was just mom.... the person who cooks you food, cleans your clothes and tells you to clean up your room. I'm grateful that she was very good at writing in journals so I can get to know her a little bit better. I don't think about my mom that much in my day to day life but I did think about her, especially big events like when Josh and I got married and each time we had another baby. I feel bad that she didn't ever see her sons return home from serving missions or see her children married or have a chance to be a Grandma during this life.
I am very grateful for the knowledge the gospel gives me that I know I will see her again. We will be together as an eternal family and she will get to meet the people I love.

2 comments:

Janis said...

Thank you SO much for writing this, Andrea! It is a beautiful tribute to your mother and a reminder to all of us that we shouldn't take each other for granted. I'm sure your Mom knows about your life and is very pleased with all you have become!

Dave said...

I am grateful that at the time I did not fully realize what I was loosing. That day wasn't as hard as growing up without her. We will see her again some day. I don't know how Dad handled all of us, he really did a great job.